Veterans pension

VETERANS PENSION USDVA helps veterans and their families cope with financial challenges by providing supplemental income through the Veterans Pension benefit. Veterans Pension is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to low-income wartime veterans.

Qualifying wartime service

Generally, a veteran must have served at least 90 days of active duty service, with at least one day of service during a wartime period, to qualify for a USDVA pension. If you entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally you must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions), with at least one day of service during a wartime period.

Who is Eligible?

In addition to meeting minimum service requirements, the veteran must meet one of the following criteria:

  • World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918).

  • World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946).

  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955).

  • Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975).

  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation 48).

To file for VA Pension, complete the following forms:

  • Age 65 or older.

  • Totally and permanently disabled.

  • A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care.

  • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance.

VA Form 21-22

VA form 21-22-Use this form to you to appoint representation.

VA Form 21P-527EZ

VA form 21P 527EZ- Use this form to apply for Veterans Pension Benefits or Special Monthly pension due to the need of an aid or attendant.

VA Form 21-2680

VA Form 21-2680-Use this form to support your claim for Special Monthly Pension due to the need of an aid or attendant. (for veterans who are housebound or in need of an attendant) this form must be completed by a licensed physician.

VA form 21P-8416

VA form 21P-8416-Use this form in support of your claim for VA Pension of Special monthly pension. VA may be able to pay you a higher benefit rate if you identify expenses VA can deduct from your income. Your benefit rate is based on your income. Your out-of-pocket payments for medical and dental expenses may be deductible. Report any medical or dental expenses that you paid for yourself or for a relative who is a member of your household (spouse, grandchild, parent, etc.) for which you were not reimbursed and do not expect to be reimbursed. examples of expenses you should include, if applicable:

Hospital expenses • Doctor’s office fees• Dental fees • Prescription/non-prescription drug costs • vision care costs • Medical insurance premiums • Nursing home costs • Hearing aid costs • Home health service expenses • Expenses related to transportation to a hospital, doctor, or other medical facility • Monthly Medicare deduction.

Patriotic Hall Offices are open from: 8am-5pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
• Wednesday from 8am-8pm•

For veteran services, please contact or call 1-877-4LA-VETS.
If you are interested in renting an event space, please contact
This is default text for notification bar
Skip to content