Disability Compensation

Disability compensation is a monthly benefit paid by USDVA to veterans for any injury, condition, or illness that started during or was aggravated (beyond natural progression) by active service in the military. This benefit is tax-free and can be paid to veterans disabled from treatment in a USDVA health care facility. The department provides services at Bob Hope Patriotic Hall and at field offices throughout the County of Los Angeles

Veterans may be eligible for disability compensation if they have a service-connected disability, often referred to as “S/C,” and were discharged under other-than-dishonorable conditions. A service-connected disability does not have to be a combat injury; any injury or illness suffered or aggravated while in uniform can be considered. Veterans with disability ratings of at least 30 percent are eligible for additional allowances for dependents, including spouses, minor children, children between the ages of 18 and 23 who are attending school, children who are permanently incapable of self-support because of a disability arising before age 18, and dependent parents. The additional amount depends on the disability rating and the number of dependents. The compensation may be offset if you receive military retirement pay, disability severance pay, or separation incentive payments.

Am I eligible?
Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

How Much Does VA Pay?

The amount of basic benefit paid ranges from $152.64 up to $3,332.86 per month, for a single veteran, not dependents.

You may be paid additional amounts, in certain instances, if:

  • You have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s)

  • You have a spouse, child(ren), or dependent parent(s)

  • You have a seriously disabled spouse

How can I apply?
How Can You Apply?

You can apply at any Los Angeles County Veterans Service office or apply for disability benefits online.

To locate an office near you please call 877-4- LA VETS (8387).

If you have any of the following materials, please attach them to your application:

  • Dependency records (marriage & children’s birth certificates)

  • Discharge or separation papers (DD214 or equivalent)

  • Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports)

Select form

To file for Department of Veterans Affairs Compensation, complete one of the following forms:

VA Form 21-0966

Use this form if you intend to file your claim for compensation and need time to gather relevant evidence to support your application for benefits. You will have one year from the date of your submission of the VA form 21-0966 to submit your application for benefits or risk the loss of your effective date of the claim.

VA Form 21-526 EZ

Use this form if you have never applied for VA compensation due to a disease or injury incurred or aggravated by your military service or are requesting an increase in your current compensation.

VA Form 20-0995

VA form 20-0995-Use this form to request a SUPPLEMENTAL CLAIM of the decision you received that you disagree with. A SUPPLEMENTAL CLAIM is a new review of an issue(s) previously decided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) based on submission of new and relevant evidence. For additional information on the SUPPLEMENTAL CLAIM process or other decision review options such as a higher-level review and appeal to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, visit https://www.va.gov/decision-reviews/.

VA form 20-0996

USE THIS FORM TO REQUEST A HIGHER-LEVEL REVIEW OF A DECISION YOU RECEIVED. A Higher-Level Review is a new review of an issue(s) previously decided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) based on the evidence of record at the time VA issued notice of the prior decision. The Higher-Level Reviewer will not consider any evidence received after the notification date of the prior decision. A Higher-Level Review may not be requested for the review of a Higher Level Review decision or a Board of Veterans’ Appeals decision. This form must be submitted to VA WITHIN ONE YEAR OF THE DATE VA PROVIDED NOTICE OF OUR DECISION. For additional information on the Higher-Level Review process or a list of review options that allow VA to consider new evidence and how to file, visit www.va.gov/decision-reviews/.

VA form 10182

If you have received a decision from a local VA office or a higher-level adjudicator with which you disagree, and you would like one or more issues to be decided by a Veterans Law Judge, you must fill out and submit a Notice of Disagreement. You can choose to appeal all or only some of the issues previously decided, however, ONLY those issues that you list on your Notice of Disagreement will be considered on appeal. How long do I have to submit my Notice of Disagreement? Your completed Notice of Disagreement must be post-marked or received by the Board within one year (365 days) from the day that your local VA office mailed the notice of the decision. If you do not provide all the information requested in the Notice of Disagreement, VA will consider your form incomplete and will contact you to request clarification and explain your options. Contested Claim: If you are one of multiple people claiming the right to the same benefit, your completed Notice of Disagreement must be post-marked or received by the Board within 60 days from the day that your local VA office mailed the notice of the decision. VA will notify you and provide additional information if you are a party to a contested claim.

VA form 21-686c

Use VA Form 21-686c to submit a claim for additional benefits for a dependent, or to request to remove a dependent from your benefits.

VA form 21-674

Use this VA form when claiming benefits for a Veteran’s child who is at least 18 years old, but under 23, and attending school.

VA Standard form 180-1

The Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records (SF180) is used to request information from military records. Certain identifying information is necessary to determine the location of an individual’s record of military service. Please try to answer each item on the SF 180. If you do not have and cannot obtain the information for an item, show “NA,” meaning the information is “not available.” Include as much of the requested information as you can. To determine where to mail this request see Page 2 of the SF180 for record locations and facility addresses. Online requests may be submitted to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by a veteran or deceased veteran’s next of kin using eVetRecs at: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

Patriotic Hall Offices are open from: 8am-5pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday
• Wednesday from 8am-8pm•

For veteran services, please contact
Info@mva.lacounty.gov or call 1-877-4LA-VETS.
If you are interested in renting an event space, please contact Reservations@mva.lacounty.gov
This is default text for notification bar
Skip to content