CALVET College Fee Waivers
You will need:
- Most recent College Fee Waiver Application can be found at calvet.ca.gov.
- Birth Certificate, adoption paperwork, and/or marriage license that proves dependency.
- VA Award Letter that states the service-connected disability for the veteran which can be obtained by calling the VA at (800) 827-1000.
- Dependents previous year’s tax return, verification of “Non-Filing Letter” from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or an “Individual Status Letter” from the Franchise Tax Board.
- If the dependent filed taxes, please bring the previous year’s 1040 tax return. For example, if applying for the academic year 2023-2024, then a copy of their 2022 tax return is required. The tax return MUST be SIGNED and DATED before April 18th or the extended date for the tax deadline.
- If the dependent did not file taxes, please provide a verification of Non-Filing Letter obtained from the IRS or Franchise Tax Board (see below).
- If the parent(s) do NOT provide any financial support, then a written statement by the parent(s) must be submitted
- To receive both the CalVet College Fee Waiver and Chapter 35 (under Plan B), the dependents annual income must be less than $15,225 each year and the veteran must be 100% service-connected, total and permanent.
- The dependent must be a California resident to qualify. All documents submitted must be legible.
To obtain a verification of Non-Filing Letter:
IRS OFFICE: 300 N. Los Angeles St., LA, CA 90012, Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm. Appointments: (844) 545-5640.
Franchise Tax Board Office: 300 S. Spring St. #5704, LA, CA 90013, 8am-5pm; (800) 852-5711.